Robert approached us last year with the goal of having his S54 built for an E46 M3 nut and bolt restoration that he’s working on. With many of the components purchased from us in the two year build up, we were glad to be able to help.
As always, work began with the block. Robert’s spec included 87mm (standard size) CP Pistons in an 11.5:1 compression ratio. It was freshly honed and measured up perfectly for the new slugs, and so was given our usual tidy up before being fitted with ACL main bearings.
The crankshaft was reground on the main journals, due to some minor scoring, and then polished across all journals.
Next – time to build. The recipe included the aforementioned CP pistons along with Arrow rods, a VAC Motorsports head gasket, Schrick 288/280 cams, Schrick DLC followers and VAC big end bearings, along with ARP main studs and head studs.
Naturally all chains and guides were refreshed, with a Beisan Systems nylon upper guide to avoid any future failures. The Vanos was completely overhauled, again with Beisan Systems components, S62 diaphragm springs, updated sprocket sleeve bolts, hub bolts and a machined oil pump disc.
Finishing touches included VAC Motorsports pulleys, a DKM MA clutch/flywheel setup, one of our billet clutch pins and a KED oil filter cap.
All-in-all, one of our most complete engine builds, all delivered back in a state ready to drop back into Robert’s fantastic project. A real pleasure to build, and we’re looking forward to the next one.
- CP-Carrillo 11.5:1, 87mm pistons
- Arrow connecting rods
- ACL +0.25mm main bearings
- VAC Motorsports performance coated rod bearings
- ARP main studs
- ARP head studs
- VAC Motorsports .040″ head gasket
- Schrick 288/280 camshaft set
- Schrick DLC cam followers
- Timing chain refresh kit
- Beisan Systems BS026 nylon upper chain guide
- Oil pump drive chain refresh kit
- VAC Motorsports oil pump upgrade kit
- Beisan Systems Vanos rebuild components
- VAC Motorsports Vanos exhaust hub
- Hack Engineering machined oil pump disc
- Updated sprocket sleeve bolts
- S62 Vanos diaphragm springs
- Hack Engineering Vanos high pressure line
- VAC Motorsports underdrive pulley set
- DKM MA clutch/flywheel kit
- Hack Engineering stainless steel clutch pivot pin